CAM In The Media
Denise Pollicella, Culture Legal Corner Contributor since Jan 2013
Ms. Pollicella has been a dedicated advocate to the promotion of a safe and regulated medical marihuana industry in Michigan since she began representing patients and caregivers in the community in 2009. In 2012, she penned an op-ed to her local paper about the practical consequences of a recently published appellate court decision, and the piece was noticed by the Culture editorial staff. She was asked to contribute monthly articles for the Michigan edition’s Legal Corner beginning with her February 2013 “So You Think You’re A NonProfit”. She has been providing timely and insightful looks into the state’s developing marihuana laws for Culture’s Michigan readers ever since.
- What’s Holding Up Michigan’s Medical Marijuana Licenses? By: Marjorie Steele As Michigan residents prepare to vote on adult-use cannabis legalization this November, the state’s 220,000 medical marijuana patients are still wondering when the state will start licensing their MMJ dispensaries. There are 540 cannabis license applicants. Only 19 are currently being processed, and 8 of...Read More »
- New Developments Surprise capitalization requirements leave Michigan cannabis business owners scrambling by Denise Pollicella | February 1, 2018 The unmistakable theme of the Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act (MMFLA) was imbued in one of its clearest clauses—the prohibition against the capping of licenses by the state. A feature distinguishing it from most other states...Read More »
- Local Judgment It’s time for Michigan’s cities to decide the best course of action Michigan’s cities, townships and villages have a decision to make—will they opt-in to the Medical Marihuana Facilities Licensing Act, or not? With the December 15 state license application date looming, many municipalities feel pressured to make a decision soon, and anyone...Read More »
- Risk and Reward The persistence of banking woes for the cannabis industry by Denise Pollicella | August 3, 2017 For as long as Michigan managed to drag its feet on regulating the medical cannabis industry, it was not long enough for the Western states, already several years into legal recreational cannabis, to have the banking...Read More »
- First Look Understanding Michigan’s recreational legalization ballot initiative by Denise Pollicella |June 2017 The Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marihuana Act is an initiative that will, if enough signatures are gathered, appear on the November 2018 state ballot. Given the growing support for legal recreational cannabis, it may seem like a logical next step, but...Read More »